PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - June AAIB - wrong deck landing
View Single Post
Old 10th Jun 2016, 08:35
S76Heavy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I noticed that both reports are about Line Training flights. Perhaps part of the problem is that the crews tried too hard to be expedient and customer friendly rather than taking some extra time to ensure that everything was as it should be and as they expected it.
There is no shame in taking a few extra minutes to get and stay organised. That is why it is a training flight. And the customers should not complain as it is the only way we can ensure the continued delivery of the service: new people need to be properly trained for the job.

On the S92 case: it would have been so much easier for the LTC to have the trainee fly the machine and just take control for landing. In my experience all pilots assigned to line training can fly the machine, it is the rest that is confusing and overwhelming at first. Don't try to do the one-armed paper hangar trick.

The confusing information from the R/O certainly did not help the crew. I just wonder if the R/Os are trained to understand the workload of a shuttle crew and when it is best to be quiet? Somehow, I don't think so..

As for the deck identification: not always easy to read, especially in poor wx. And there is a tendency to see what one expects to see. So any way to improve identification at larger distance would be welcomed.