PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - June AAIB - wrong deck landing
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2016, 10:31
birmingham

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by terminus mos
The problem with your attitude HC is that you regard an offshore flight as a flying exercise. But actually, the flight is required to do a job. The requirements of that job change from time to time. Imagine if fixed wing pilots landed at the wrong airport. Its the same thing. If a Pilot can't land on the correct deck and reasonably adapt to the needs of the job, then they should question their career choice or consider retirement. Oh, sorry, you did retire already.
Terminus mos,

TBF I think HC has a point.

This wasn't an accident as such so while I think it should be a reportable event I don't think it merits a full field investigation.

Perhaps the procedure should be similar to that in a non commercial transport flight i.e. that the operator is required to submit a report. If that had been the case and the operator had adapted procedures to prevent a recurrence all the AAIB would have had to do would be to read, discuss and if satisfied accept the report. The exact same outcome as the full field investigation.

It is different from a fixed wing event in that given that the crews are routinely liasing with each other and that there is a much lower volume of arrivals and departures at much lower speeds the chances of a real "accident" were relatively low.