PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tracey Curtis-Taylor (Merged threads)
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jun 2016, 14:18
Danny42C

Thank you all, (Ladies? and) Gentlemen. We seem to have it pretty well sewn up now.

Some tantalising loose ends:

Stanwell (#237) and Flying Lawyer (242),
...I wonder if it could be a Lycoming R-680...
So they managed to screw 300hp out of 680 cu.in., while the old Continenal could only raise 210-240 out of 670 [both Wiki]. Shows what you can do when you try. Must have really pepped the old girl up. Mind you, a 400hp (my "Aircraft Flown" [back of a RAF log] entry is 450, Wiki agrees) would really have made the bird fly ! They would have got aloft in Arizona hot, high, humid and what-the-hell-else with one of those.

and:

and (#240),
...The pushrod-tube mounts at the crankcase end would be the clue there, I think...
They were an integral part of take-off procedure for us (Full description on "Pilot's Brevet", p.117, #2331).

India Four Two (#238),
...like a Tiger Moth on steroids...
About the finest descriptio of a Stearman you could wish for.
...in the rear-cockpit, which is subjected to the full downwash of the top wing...
In a late Florida summer, you'd be glad of it !

megan (#241)
... Quote:
it'd be interesting to hear of your over-water jobs relying on just one of Mr Lycoming's products..
When I were a little lad, Charles Lindbergh managed about 3,000 miles overwater in one hop in a Ryan "Spirit of St.Louis". (Powerplant: 1 × Wright Whirlwind J-5C Single blade Standard Steel Propeller, 223 hp 166 kW - Wiki). Of course, Alcock & Brown had crossed the pond eight years before, but they had two donks.

Reverting to the Matter in Hand, I will only say that solo is solo is solo. and everyone in aviation knows what it means.

Danny.

Last edited by Danny42C; 3rd Jun 2016 at 17:23. Reason: Typo !