PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 1st Jun 2016, 09:50
Null Orifice

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Dougie's post reminded me of the early days of the mighty streams of the 70s.

First up from the memory bank came the mental image of the day when 41 of Lynehams Ks were all crewed and running at the same time - can't remember if they all got off though. What I do remember was the subsequent whingeing from the ladies of Melsome Road AMQs who weren't impressed with the aroma of Avtur replacing that of Febreze in their lines of washing (didn't affect our washing - I lived in Chippenham at the time .

Next came a recollection from Exercise Long Link (?) at a glorious location in southern Turkey. All the aircraft had been allotted a particular parking spot according to their respective role and stream position. On a lovely sunny day i.e. shrieking hot, a large number (36? memory failure) started engines and set out on their aerial adventures, involving a stream takeoff. IIRC the lead aircraft aborted due to the ASI failing to indicate. It was later found to have swallowed a bee or wasp via the pitot head. The subsequent mayhem was thoroughly enjoyed by all, especially us groundies who were faced with a massive game of chess to restore all the pieces to their original parking spots .