PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - forced landing - THE FIELD CHOOSES YOU!
View Single Post
Old 31st May 2016, 13:35
Pilot DAR

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts
I explained my method to my instructor examiner and he had never seen that method before?
Yes, I too have had expressions of surprise from a couple of instructors in recent months, when I demonstrated this technique. While dining with another very well known PPRuNer last evening, we discussed exactly this point, and agreed that gliding to a forced landing is not taught well.

I also prefer this technique. I have been inspired by a passage in John Farley's book, and later discussion with him. which I understand as "choose a spot neared to you, and point the plane there, then control the speed as you near during your approach.

The notion of "best glide" is unfairly deceptive. The speed provided for "Best glide" in flight manuals is there to show compliance to the certification requirement of best distance achieved for altitude lost. This speed, however, is somewhat more slow than the optimum speed at which to enter a flare to land, particularly if you are entering the flare from a steeper than usual descent angle, and under stress.

Consider "best glide" speed compared to Vy. Vy has been established as a speed from which a suitable glide return to a landing can be safely made (another certification requirement). This is why needlessly climbing away at Vx (meaning there is no obstacle to clear) puts you at extreme risk in the case of a sudden engine failure. If your flight manual provides a speed for Vy which is faster than the "best glide" speed, you would rather glide at Vy or faster if you do not need to reach a suitable forced landing site (it's already closer to you).

It is very easy to slip off extra speed at short final (regardless of flap setting) if you're a little fast and high, it is much less safe to attempt to stretch a glide if you judged it wrong because you approached all the way down at "best glide" and judged it wrong.