PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EgyptAir 804 disappears from radar Paris-Cairo
Old 28th May 2016, 19:02
Water pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would suspect the sensor or the wiring well before assuming that there is a computer issue. Of course, sometimes it is wiring to the computer that is the problem.

It might be interesting to consider that the wires for temp probes are usually significantly smaller than any other wires in a wiring bundle and are thus the first to melt through if the bundle overheats for some reason. (Those tiny wires can also be the devil to crimp although I suspect in aircraft standards are a bit higher than for the marine stuff that I deal with.)

Slightly related case in point -- this week the state of charge gauge on our electric utility vehicle (think 'glorified golf cart') failed. It is cheap junk and since the car ran fine and the charger reported no issues I was going to disregard it and replace later. Actually thinking about this thread and the importance of checking out all electrical faults, I opened the battery compartment and found that one battery had been venting acid, eating through the copper connectors. The one that was eaten completely through first was the small one for the state of charge meter. The big ones that carry a lot of amps @ 48V were partially eaten through.