PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 24th May 2016, 11:14
Null Orifice

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
This thread should live on for a few years yet. There must be many who (like me!) have sat back and enjoyed the tales being told here.

My own contributions have been very few - I intend to remedy that situation in due course, once the referendum (and my holiday in Spain) is out of the way

I know a few of the contributors here, and probably others whose forum names have acted as a camouflage over their true identities. Some of those acquaintances and friendships go back many years, to times when we were just lads. I even knew some contributors from the days of the K's predecessor, the Hastings. While we remain on our respective perches, wherever these may be, we owe it to posterity to keep the memory of the Globegobbler alive.

I still possess one of the first version, ultra-slimjim, Hercules ties (with the silver C130) that reminds me of those (mostly) enjoyable days, on Blue Team at Colerne when the Ks arrived for Acceptance Checks with less than 20 hours in the F700. After escaping a course intended to make me into a Vulcan crew-chief , I was 'selected' to join 48 Squadron at Changi (that was tough, but somebody had to do it) and finally, a posting to A Line at Lyneham.
I also have one of those factually incorrect, copper engravings of a C. Mark 1 mounted with a presentation plaque given to me on my leaving the service in '77.If you have one, check out the aircraft fleet number on the aft fuselage compared to those on the nose and fin!!

Nostalgia is what it used to be, don't let it fade away!