PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EgyptAir 804 disappears from radar Paris-Cairo
Old 21st May 2016, 15:39
nnc0

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The final sequence of ACMS messages transmitted via ACARS was

ANTI ICE R WINDOW
R SLIDING WINDOW SENSOR
SMOKE LAVATORY SMOKE
AVIONICS SMOKE
R FIXED WINDOW SENSOR
AUTO FLT FCU 2 FAULT
F/CTL SEC 3 FAULT

I was considering the sequence of the faults/messages and the absence of some others and ignoring the AVIONICS SMOKE ECAM, it would lead one to suspect an avionics bay event that led to some kind of fire.

Following LAND ASAP in the QRH's SMOKE/FUMES/AVNCS SMOKE procedure, the next action states 'IF PERCEPTIBLE SMOKE APPLY IMMEDIATELY: '. The use of the word perceptible there is because in the case of AVIONICS smoke crew will likely smell the smoke before any ECAM warning is displayed. . The AVIONICS SMOKE detector is very slow to actually trigger an ECAM. I'm even suspecting the Lav smoke detector picked up smoke before the avionics detectors did.

(I had some initial speculations this might be an EFB issue (window mounted (iPad plugged into an 400 HZ f/d supply or some such other jerry rigged setup), which flared up and caused the WHC faults. Back in the day, prior to AIRBUS introducing the new LITHIUM PED FIRE procedure, some recommended moving the smoking device to the FWD LAV))

So while I'm inclined to think this is the result of some issue with, or upstream of, WHC 1 (or 2) and that the subsequent faults are probably related to the spreading fire, what I don't understand with that scenario is why there were so few ECAMS included in the ACMS ACARS msg. Surely there would have at least been a record of a ANTI ICE WNDSHIELD ECAM if that were the case?

Last edited by nnc0; 21st May 2016 at 16:37.