PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Glasses - what do you use?
View Single Post
Old 21st May 2016, 13:49
ForkTailedDrKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Soup Nazi
Flopt
Glass is available you just have to specify it, remember we are the customer. Plenty of people still ask for glass which I'm sure frustrates those who dislike it with a passion. Yes it will shatter if smacked hard enough but then poly and other plastics will scratch just by looking at them. I've had glass sunnies for at least 10 years, broke a lens when I dropped them on a tile floor. That's the risk with glass, but it's a buyers choice, yes??? Yes they are heavier but not by much in the straight sunglasses, probably becomes a problem with a prescription I would imagine. Dangerous?, I try to take mine off before someone punches me in the eyeball.

My understanding is that injection moulding is done at medium temperatures and under high pressure then rapidly cooled, whereas the cast process (TRIVEX and probably others) is done without pressure so the material can conform to the mould shape at its own pace and Cool slowly. Less inbuilt stress in the product is the result but it does take longer to produce the blank and as such it is more expensive.

I did try the 1.6 index material but still found it not as sharp as the TRIVEX, but certainly much better than the poly, perhaps it was the coatings but when I'm paying I want what I want, right????

I would agree that you should find a good optometrist who will measure your optical centres although I'm pretty sure they all do that??? Perhaps not for the online optical shops, buyer beware, cheaper is not necessarily just as good. My centres were measured and confirmed 3 times by three separate people in the establishment. If that is not right it will undermine even the best lenses I believe.

Im not an expert or optometrist but I did a fair bit of research before I purchased, I could have pretty much got the same frames and TRIVEX lenses from another manufacturer but it was only about $100 cheaper than the Serengeti product. They may be as good or even better I'm not sure, but I didn't read too much bad about the Serengeti prescription product so that is what swayed me in the end. I'm not saying everyone should head out and by what I bought, I'm just adding my experience to the conversation.

SN
Well there ya go Floppy one - any questions?

Dr