PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Should I take the longer runway
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2016, 19:23
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If taxi time differences are negligible ( and I were PIC) I would always go for the longer runway.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but you invite the questions:

1. You are taxying // to the RWY an there is a queue at the threshold Hold. ATC asks if you can accept the intersection for a no-delay departure. Company SOP is to calculate performance for intersection, but it is captain's discretion to use it or not. YES/NO? What have you done; ever?

2. The runway entry point requires a back-track for full length. Company SOP is to calculate performance for the entry point, but captain's discretion to use it or full length. Busy period on finals. Immediate takeoff at entry point or wait for 3 landings and then back track. YES/NO? What have you ever done?

3. Various airports have the apron near one end of the single runway: let's say the southern end. You wish to depart to the north. The wind is 7kts on the runway from south. Runway is your choice. Do you calculate for a 10kt tailwind, short taxi, short SID? Or calculate for zero headwind, long taxi and long SID? Oh, and you're late? What have you ever done?