PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Oman Air
Thread: Oman Air
View Single Post
Old 14th May 2016, 15:01
B737SFP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys...

Short story to you all:

The company I work is facing kind of an economic crisis and recently opened a program where those who wish to fly abroad can sign and stay away for a couple of years with a guarantee that they could be taken back after a pre-determined time away (5yrs max, renewable every 6 months if I'm not wrong). Some aircraft are being returned and no upgrades will happen for quite some time.

Oddly, in the light of the recent facts, our management said that no mass firing is expected and they will try their best to keep all jobs secure. Believe it or not, they are honoring their word.

As we're flying much less hours and thus having more days offs (everyone is flying around 55hrs with 11 / 13 days off), we had a HUGE improvement in our QoL. I don't have to say that the money, on the other hand, became short, but not veeeeeeeeeery short. It's short, but manageable. I must say also that the company is very relaxed, with a great work environment !

Now comes the real question:

Some (FOs) are willing to go to Oman Air because they were told by the brokers that an upgrade could happen in the near future (1 or 2 yrs). Is this a fact or they are just mumbling the right words to get those pilots who are getting tired of sitting on the right seat for quite some time (8...9 yrs/LCC). They also think that will be able to save a good amount of money (our local currency is weak when compared to the dollar) and offer their family a safe place to live for some years !

I'm pretty happy where I'm, and would not go in such a quest, so, I'm here asking on behalf of a few friends which are about to make this move.

Is this a wise move or not ?

Thanks !!!