PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HEATHROW
Thread: HEATHROW
View Single Post
Old 9th May 2016, 11:26
Shed-on-a-Pole

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Until an accurate figure can be agreed upon for the taxpayer funded portion and this can be compared to projected income I really don't see how that can be correct.
But we already know the range of projected estimates and can make preliminary judgments accordingly.

There will also be significant income to the taxpayer and the economy from the main airport construction works in the form of VAT and other taxes
This argument applies equally to all other backlogged infrastructure projects which could share £18Bn of scarce public funding. Many of these offer far better value to the taxpayer than LHR R3.

After construction a larger Heathrow means more employment therefore more taxed income.
This also applies to alternative infrastructure proposals of merit all around the UK which await their turn for public funds but which offer far greater value to the taxpayer.

National express?? Are you serious?
Totally serious. Do you have a genuine problem with National Express or are you exhibiting snobbery?

For too long people in the north have been only given Manchester as their long haul option (And paid a premium for it)
Outside London, regular long-haul flights are on sale from BFS, GLA, EDI, NCL, MAN, BHX, EMA and BRS. Other airports offer connections via European hubs. All are free to compete for long-haul business within their physical capabilities. Fares from regionals are often higher than corresponding offers from London but must be set against the cost of travel to London and incidental costs such as an overnight hotel stay. In the North specifically, passenger airports available are NCL, MME, LBA, HUY, LPL, MAN and DSA. NCL and MAN both offer regular long-hauls. DSA offers occasional long-haul charters to MCO etc. LPL has offered JFK and YYZ flights in the past but the market didn't sustain these. LBA has runway length limitations. MME and HUY are small niche operations. What other alternatives do you envisage?

Those with easy access have enjoyed having these flights at the expense of the people in the other northern regions that are expected to use the methods you outline above to get there
So your complaint is that people who live close to an international airport are better placed for air travel than those who live more distantly from the airport? Is that not equally true everywhere?

Since you express dissatisfaction with the surface travel options available to those wishing to access MAN, you no doubt by implication recognise the importance of funding and constructing Northern Powerhouse Rail (formerly known as HS3) and a transpennine motorway linking Sheffield and South Yorkshire with the road network to the West. Both of these proposals deserve funding as a higher priority than LHR R3 and both will benefit UKplc as a whole and not just the immediate region. Plus, it is high time that a major new infrastructure project actually got funded outside the South-East.

Nobody wants to use the coach or light rail when they have bags to cart around.
Coaches are actually particularly well-suited for luggage handling. Light rail less so, but tram journeys tend to be of short duration.

So once again you are talking about a future development that will not be operational until after 2030 from first hand experience
No, I was talking about LHR transfer arrangements in place at the present time from first-hand experience. Neither of us could know what to expect in 2030.

Getting on the BA shuttle at LBA you can go straight down the fast lane to security avoiding the queue and walk directly onto the aircraft
Well that option wasn't offered to me using the Shuttle from MAN. Were you on a special ticket? Anyway, what about the people who do have to join the queue? Do we just ignore their implied transit times? They're passengers too. All part of the equation.

EDIT: I've just realised that you're referring to flight boarding arrangements at Leeds-Bradford Airport. All my comments relate to the arrivals experience for domestic to international flights at LHR itself.

Nowhere near as tedious as waiting for a train on a cold platform with all your bags, especially after a long haul night flight.
Last time I looked, LHR, LGW, STN and LTN all had well-used rail platforms associated with their operation. Plane-to-train is a consideration at many airport locations. At MAN specifically the rail station is well-sheltered and has a decent waiting room with abundant seating. Magazines, newspapers, hot drinks and snacks are on sale there for if you need to wait.

Than again, who cares about the majority of the north as long as the people of the Lancashire and Cheshire can have local direct flights.
OK, you've got me with this one. What on Earth are you on about here? Certainly nothing I've ever alluded to.

Last edited by Shed-on-a-Pole; 9th May 2016 at 12:54. Reason: Clarification of LHR Transfer Comments