PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Britain's Air to Air Refuelling Capability
Old 1st May 2016, 14:47
tomdotcom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Britain's Air to Air Refuelling Capability

Was having a look around the web to see if I could find any info on delivery dates for the P8 for the RAF and found this.

Airhead defence chiefs have admitted ordering nine spy planes that are incompatible with the RAF’s in-flight refuelling tankers.

The version of the Airbus 330 MRTT tanker ordered by the Royal Air Force does not have any provision for the “boom and receptacle”

refueling system used by the US Air Force and US Navy.
This is not the case for Australia, whose RAAF has just completed refueling trials of its own Airbus
KC-30A tankers, which are fitted with an 18‑metre-long advanced refueling boom system, and which can thus refuel any
Western aircraft.
The RAF’s selection of a degraded tanker means it can only refuel other aircraft using the drogue-and-boom system,
and so cannot refuel most US combat and support aircraft.)

MY understanding is that they CANNOT refuel the current new RC-135s "Airseeker" either -

The RAF cannot refuel its new £650million spy planes in mid-air, it has been revealed.In a fresh humiliation for the Ministry of Defence, it emerged that Britain must rely on other
nations to fill up the RC-135 Rivet Joint aircraft once it is in the skies.
Military analysts warned that crucial reconnaissance missions could be jeopardised by the UK's failure to act independently.

So what is going on inside the MoD and the RAF. Perhaps the Daily Mail has got it right in the use of the word "Airhead"

We have new tankers that cant refuel our latest assets
We have new assets that we have to rely on others to keep in the air.
We have aircraft carriers and no planes....
When the planes are likely to be delivered, I have no doubt the aircraft carriers will be in dock for a re-fit.......

We must be the laughing stock of the world's air forces.