PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot hit by ground vehicle during walk-around!
Old 29th Apr 2016, 10:42
AllDaysAreSchoolDays

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just read this thread in the hope of finding out if the said Pilot is OK?

Any News?

Sadly I saw a Marshaller get hit by a Tug driver many years ago, in a different part of the World. I know of a few colleagues that have walked into things during the walk around. One Captain avoiding the rain, ran into the Drain mast on an Aircraft type he was not used to, nearly blinding himself. I myself have tripped on Tow bars and Fuel Point covers when walking around looking up instead of down!

I have heard of people being hit by falling suitcases when walking too close to the baggage belts. There was one very unfortunate incident involving a Waste tank truck that a colleague got too close to. While physically unharmed the mess prevented him from continuing at work!

This is an industry wide threat, and an issue that will not go away all the time so many services are occurring around the Aircraft.

Guys, if you see any unsafe practises during your walk around, please report them via ASR. Please take your time walking around, if you rush you will likely not observe the dangers around you.

I, like other posters here, try to stay under the Aircraft where few Vehicles can be. Watch out for the Potable Water and Waste Trucks. Don't walk under Baggage belts. And occasionally look down not just up! It hurts when you walk into a tow bar or trip over the Refuelling truck ground wire!

I say all this because I care about my colleagues and I am very aware that many of the Guys Upgrading on the B777 have not been exposed to too many walk arounds. The Video Training only deals with the items on the Aircraft to look for not everything else coming at you.

Be safe... and please DO a thorough inspection of the Aircraft. 99% of the time you won't find anything, but I have found a number of issues here and at other Airlines that needed Engineering attention and could have had safety implications. (Fuel leak, Hydraulic leak, Bird Strikes, HST peeling, Static Wicks missing, Engine Cowling and other Panels not latched properly. Dents that may have arrived after the Engineer signed the Daily. Tyre problems... I could go on...) When you sign the Tech. Log you are accepting the Aircraft assuming you have checked it.

I too am unhappy with the general working conditions but we must not let Apathy creep in and affect our integrity and professionalism.

I would appreciate any further info on the pilots state of health...

All the best.