PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - St. Helena Service
View Single Post
Old 27th Apr 2016, 07:18
rog747

Received 41 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by LTNman
So does that mean the UK service is going to be delayed as although the official opening has been delayed it doesn't necessarily mean the airport is closed?
the UK service is also going to be operated by a Boeing 738 of Dutch TUI so therefore all concerned will no doubt be looking closely at the outcome of Comair's findings after their trial flights last week.
see Atlantic stars latest announcement last night https://facebook.com/atlanticstarairlines/

As mentioned by 738 drivers the a/c is a slippery little so and so in the conditions prevalent at HLE and last weeks first landing was lightly loaded ( 50 pax) and the other test flights undertaken by Comair last week thru til Weds were afaik not loaded

the UK LTN-BJL-HLE service has to be loaded to make money -- will the TUI a/c be limited on payload (usually 189 Y) but I see she is in a lower density 2 class W/Y fit and do they sell (or will have rights to sell) the LTN-BJL sector in which case some pax will disembark at BJL anyway - I dont see fares for BJL though.
Best value flights to St.Helena | Atlantic Star Airlines

Best value flights to St.Helena | Atlantic Star Airlines

As for rumour talk of maybe now using a smaller a/c for BA/Comair to op JNB-HLE - the new 738 has been obtained especially for this new route so no doubt Comair will be working hard to get this a/c and her crews happy and safe to operate the route in the most challenging of weather.

The 757 would probably been a better candidate for the route from either the UK or the RSA but I guess they are too old now to be considered but they do still have their niche mission needs and this could have been one of them
here is a video of the 757 in action at the tiny Greek island of Skiathos with a very short runway and some challenging winds ( not as bad as HLE or FNC but still can make you busy )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACebJfOMOTQ

ps
amazing videos of the BA 738 inaugural fly by, GA and landing on the 'tube'

Last edited by rog747; 27th Apr 2016 at 07:39.