PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Home flight sims
View Single Post
Old 26th Apr 2016, 12:37
Unusual Attitude

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I actually fully agree Pace.

I first tried VR and flight sims back in the 2000's using the Forte VFX1 and EF2000, I still have everything required to play this in my loft, it was rather good fun dogfighting in VR if a little vomit inducing.

I have also had the DK1 Oculus Rift since it was released and then the DK2 since that came out (still waiting for my CV1!). The DK2 with DCS is a fantastic experience and the flight model feels very realistic. The only problem with DCS using the DK2 is that the resolution isn't quite there for me to operate some of the more complicated jets. I can however start the Hawk up from cold and dark and take it on a mission using the Rift, the experience and feel of "being there" is incredible.

AeroflyFs has however by far the best "feel" of any sim since Flight Unlimited 3 but its not yet compatible with the Rift, when it is I would expect it to be an excellent way to practice handling skills as the flight model handles anything you can throw at it, including complex aeros.

You can 'Fly' FSX using the Oculus via an addon called FlyInside FSX however it all feels a bit numb for my liking, always found X-plane to be the same, fine for procedural stuff but the handling feel is junk.
I'll stick with DCS for the moment until they release AeroflyFS 2 and add in Rift support, god knows when that will be however as it was due out months ago on the PC.

I fully believe VR and flight sims have a very exciting future however!

Regards

UA