PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Have Gun, Will Travel, Noggie Style.
View Single Post
Old 26th Apr 2016, 07:14
BEagle

Received 270 Likes on 109 Posts
When I did my one day U/T at RAF Pembrey Sands in the Summer of '76, so that I could cover for the RSO when he went for the day, I noticed a large dent in the clock in front of the window.

"What happened?", I asked.
"It was a Harrier. On a strafe FRA he appeared off line, but opened fire anyway. That was about 450 knots of cartridge case - more rattled around the room, but we were bravely hiding under the desk!"

My actual day was quite interesting. A Hunter coming off the strafe target managed to hoof off a few rounds in the climb when going stick stop safe, a Jet Provost flew through the range whilst another Hunter was in the dive for a dry attack - I traced him to St Mawgan. 2 QFIs on a jolly..... Then a yacht drifted into the range safety area. I asked one of the Hunters to see whether it was manned, as it appeared to be just drifting along without any sail set...

"Yes, 2 on board", came the reply.
"What are they doing - surely they must have seen you?"
"No mate - they're $hagging!"

A couple more low passes, up went the sail and off they went!

Great fun! Although I hadn't been there at the time, I also saw the mangled remains from the occasion when some Wg Cdr doing a refresher course on 79 Sqn managed to pickle off 2 x 230 gall underwing tanks, having made a serious switch pigs. Unplottable at six; fortunately they didn't catch fire, but when he asked to carry on he was rather surprised to be told to Foxtrot Oscar back to Brawdy - all that fuel on the tinder dry surface (those who remember the Summer of '76 will know that it was long and hot!) put the range U/S for quite some time.