PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot hit by ground vehicle during walk-around!
Old 25th Apr 2016, 08:59
Land Hopper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nikita,

There are pathways marked across certain areas but unfortunately this cannot be done once inside the ERA markings.

In DXB, although parking stands are standard sized and regulatory approved pretty much all other manouvring space has been removed. This means all unit to be loaded have to be staged within the ERA an reduces that room to move and operate in. Very challenging indeed.

Right now I don't see this changing as the airport is forging ahead with the remarsing of stands in Concourse C and grabbing any potential space they can find so as to be able to park another aircraft.

With the current infrastructure there is nothing that can be done to remove some of the congestion you will see on the majority of contact stands and this is something that brings about huge frustration.

All being said and done, with the amount of movement, equipment and units lying around, every individual irrespective of role needs to be fully alert of what they and those around them are doing.

Unfortunately the piece of equipment involved in this accident is probably one of the most dangerous that is operated. I know of many accidents causing serious injury to people here in DXB caused by them, not to mention the one in Switzerland late last year. They are so many blindspots when when unit is loaded on them that it is paramount that a marshaller/banksman I used when reversing etc. Another question to be asked during the investigation here.

My belief I that this more than likely did not happen.

Until these are completely removed there will always be be risk of further incidents.