PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Eye in the Sky - Alan Rickman's Brevet.
View Single Post
Old 24th Apr 2016, 22:35
Melchett01

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Sloppy Link
Early on in the formation of the Parachute Regiment, as whole Battalions were re-roled, Para Wings were worn on the left breast, before anyone calls "utter tosh" I have a phot of my father, Royal Sussex, who was re-roled in this form of dress.
Historically, as I noted, some units did wear them on the left breast - my grandfather who served in 2 Para wore them on his sleeve as we do now. But the OP was asking about current order of dress being depicted in this film. And based on current orders of dress, the film is incorrect. Of course, it also assumes Rickman's character had served on an airborne unit, other wise he would have only been entitled to wear the 'light bulb' rather than full on para wings if all he had done was to complete the 'Jumps Course'. But that's another argument, and if you mentioned that on Arrse it'd be like sticking your head in the lion's mouth, so I'd steer clear ... I'm sure that nobody would wear the incorrect Parachutist Badge just to try and gain a bit more credibility!