PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 24th Apr 2016, 13:55
Whizz Bang

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Leon Jabachjabicz
I see the trawl for AEF pilots has gone out:

20160418-IBN 33 16 Additional Volunteer Air Experience Pilots.doc
Request For Additional Volunteer Air Experience Pilots – 6 FTS

• Pilots must hold either a Service Flying Badge or CPL.
• By exception, pilots with 500 hrs light aircraft will be considered subject to a positive recommendation and Flying Ability Test.
• Volunteers must either hold a Regular or Reserve Commission or meet the minimum requirements for a Volunteer Reserve (Training) Commission.
• Full conversion training will be provided on Tutor 115E aircraft.
• Volunteers should be able to contribute a minimum of 40 hours flying per year.

I don't see anything specific about VGS pilots. Would the Vigilant count as a 'light aircraft'? It is normally either a TMG or SLMG depending on your PPL type. However, hours on them do count towards revalidation of a SE(P) rating if you hold a valid SLMG or TMG rating on the same licence.

Anyone know what the criteria for VGS pilots is for transferring to AEF? Is it the same as above or something different.

LJ
LJ, the requirements stated from 2FTS when the 'request' for a return in the 'VGS Future Involvement Letter' was:

Minimum Requirements for Consideration for Conversion from Vigilant to Tutor

a. 2FTS Endorsement
b. A VRT Commission
c. 500 hrs Captain
d. B1 Gliding Instructor
e. Laudatory Report from OC VGS
f. 6FTS Endorsement
g. Successful completion of Vigilant to Tutor Conversion Course.

Additionally, to amortise training costs, a minimum period of 18 month service (post Tutor qualification) is also required (Note: maximum age for Tutor flying is 65 years).

Even this simple task of information gathering has been tragically carried out. Some returns have been lost in the ether and I hate to think how much time has been wasted by someone collating this data. And to think JM's baby (BADER) is based on SharePoint - the prefect tool for gathering such replies!

Considering many instructors have not flown anything for 2 years I can see the failure rate of conversion being very high unless a realistically achievable training package is provided.