PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot hit by ground vehicle during walk-around!
Old 24th Apr 2016, 10:35
Land Hopper

Kobus

I am not as you call it 'an obvious management troll' in any way or form. I am just an ordinary worker bee like the vast majority of us all.

I would also argue the fact that my office gives me a much better view of what happens on the ramp here at DXB than your cockpit too.

There are just a couple of points that I would like to make though:

The guys here would not be able to operate the equipment without an ADP as this is all access controlled and only activated by swiping their card. The same goes to the expiry date. Once over, the card simply will not start the ignition.

My next point is about adherence to wearing high visibility vests. Unfortunately, DA do not enforce this and even have an AAN in place that says you only need to wear this once you are within the 'ERA' of the particular stand being worked on. Again, this is not limited to the ramp teams but every individual that moves in this area.

Finally, I would like to say that after working in a good number of airports around the world the ground teams here do a fantastic job in very difficult and trying circumstances. Quite often in the face of adversity considering the EK decision making process coming from the 7th Floor as well as very often vindictive and spiteful Dispatchers trying to throw their minimal lack of authority around just because they don't like a particular individual.

At the end of the day, I repeat that ramp areas are very dangerous areas and everyone must move around as if they have eyes everywhere at the same time. I have seen too many incidents and fatal accidents to remember. The only point I was trying to make in my original post was that one should validate what they are told before posting as it only goes towards distorting the truth about what happened.