PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PNG crash near Kiunga??
View Single Post
Old 19th Apr 2016, 23:28
Sicofit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aviator

Originally Posted by tail wheel
Not necessarily. I recall many PNG domestic pilots maxing out every year at 900 hours, resulting in early annual leave. I know of a number of retired PNG domestic pilots with over 25,000 hours, all flown within PNG.

But I agree, there may not be many PNG National pilots with 28,000 hours.
I did not intend to query the fact about how many hours the pilot had,but the I know the PNG national he refers to who is a top notch guy for whom I consider to be one of the best operators I have met and he describes him well; except for the 28'000 hours.
He would only be in his early 50's and good as he is,could not have that many hours.
Pilot's like Biil Johns who was over 70 when he left, John Regan,78 and Gary Honour now about 73 .
The only pilot in CASA over 70 is an ex Qantas pilot who I understand flew 747's.
The bottom line is, CASA does very little surveillance because it is underfunded and Inspectors generally don't stay too long when there are more opportunities in the private world in many different areas.
If you are talking about accidents then have a look a some of those senior expat managers,although in the case of this accident,they are very experienced and professional and as I said,so was the pilot.
We should let the investigators find the facts and show some respect for all concerned.