PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PNG crash near Kiunga??
View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2016, 21:00
Sicofit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aviator

Originally Posted by weloveseaplanes
I know of at least one.
He was on a type rating check flight I did last month.
PNG national.
CASA PNG Flight Examiner.
Over 28,000 flight hours.
Incredibly experienced, helpful, polite and inspiring examiner.
He gave real world practical advice and was very alert to the differences in the pilots he tested.

I was most impressed and grateful that CASA PNG has such staff.
While not wishing to criticise Inspectors who generally do a good job,I would query those qualifications.
Firstly,to have 28'000 hours you would have to have been long haul for many years where you max out yearly because of the long international sectors.
There is only on Inspector in PNG CASA who has that and he is from Aus and not PNG ,although I believe there is one who is highly respected within the aviation community and possibly more,but he is not old enough to have accumulated 28'000 hours
Inspectors who work for CASA are extremely underpaid compared to operating pilots in the country and this is why they can't attract many nationals who have great job opportunities in their own country.
They are generally understaffed and this is one reason for lack of oversight on their part and not their ability to do the job.
This is one reason why some types from down south and across the ditch manage to get into senior flying jobs with very dubious backgrounds and qualifications.The end result is inevitable.
In his case,the people in charge of the company are well known to be of a high caliber as was the pilot; it was just a tragic accident.
Don't fudge he facts for a good story.