PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2016, 16:16
Frelon

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
All staff cadets had RAF licences.

the Air Cadet Organisation no longer wants a bunch of cadets in the back of a truck driven (illegaly?) by underage, unlicensed cadets
I know that most, if not all, Commanding Officers of Gliding Schools would not have permitted Staff Cadets to drive the MT without first having been tested and approved for an RAF driving licence by the local MT unit. My licence allowed me to drive the 1 Ton Austin and the Land Rovers on the airfield only (and that included the NAAFI and Airmans' Mess) despite not being old enough for a grown up civvie licence!!

The interesting fact was that the MT supplied to our gliding school was not deemed suitable for driving off the camp as they were only maintained to "Airfield Use Only" standards!!!

It was only later when our airfield finally closed down and the RAF left that the system allowed us to have vehicles which were road worthy to enable us to collect the cadets from the local army base. By this time naturally all drivers of Air Cadet vehicles had both an RAF Driving Permit and a civilian driving licence.

I see nothing about this system that was illegal, except now they would expect us all to be belted in (cadets included)!