PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar Aiming for 50% Gender Spilt in Interview Candidates
Old 16th Apr 2016, 09:16
Massey058

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by neville_nobody
If Jetstar REALLY want more girls in aviation then they have to start at a grass roots level, by encouraging them at school age to be interested in it and offering scholarships and free flying training. I guess similar with what the AFL do with their kids programs. Unfortunately in aviation it is not a matter of just qualifying, you then have 5+ years of hard slog meager salart before you even get an interview with Jetstar with basically zero work/life balance.
This.

Why don't they institute an advertising campaign to get the message out there? Highlight all the women that work for the airline across all levels and then back that up by going grass level as you say.

I've always felt that a lot of the gender disparity in the industry comes down to historical norms, it will take some time to change that but it won't happen without some grass level work, not just decreeing a simple 50/50 split. That and also sometimes I feel the fairer sex might be a lot smarter by not getting themselves into this at times maddening, crazy industry. Those that do though I have very much enjoyed working with.