PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thinking to be a pilot, looking for information ( from india)
Old 5th Apr 2016, 17:08
cyrilroy21

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@Djg

Aviation is a very complex industry and the career of a pilot much more. It nowhere close or straightforward like other careers of engineering or medicine or chartered accountants.

Your passport also severely limits the countries where you can apply for job as well since every country wishes to protect jobs for their own citizens
The few countries that do hire foreign citizens usually require thousands of hours of experience.

There are some very rare cases of inexperienced pilots finding jobs in foreign countries. But these are very hard to come by and are usually quite expensive ( like having to attend university course as well or paying huge money for a type rating )

Licensing is also another problem. Since pilots only hold LICENSES they are required to convert or obtain temporary authorisation in every country they wish to fly.

The UAE GCAA for example made it compulsory that all candidates with experience less than 1500 hours needs to pass 14 exams in order to convert their licenses

As far as I can see in your case... unless you hold some sort of WASTA with a middle eastern operator your chances of finding a job with a middle eastern carrier with an Indian Passport is close to NIL .
Same way none of the employers in the U.S will even look at you unless you have a green card

I suggest you focus on obtaining an Indian DGCA license and building experience first before going to the UAE or elsewhere.

Now whether you learn to fly in India or abroad thats upto you. The Indian DGCA is an absolute pain when it comes to converting license so don't expect an easy road n the conversion process.

-I would recommend you first obtain a DGCA class 2 medical followed by a class 1 medical.
-Pass the DGCA papers of Air Navigation , Regulation and Meteorology. Pass some tech specific papers for aircraft you plan on flying.
-Obtain an Indian RTR A license .
-Obtain a Student Pilot license and a restricted FRTOL from a flight school in India

Make sure that the name in all the documents above is the exact same as that given in your 10th certificate

Once you are done with all this you can decide whether to go abroad or fly in India

While its true some flight schools in India can take a long time to finish most these days can finish in less than a year as long you pass your exams on time.

Going abroad while you might get the foreign license quickly you can spend more than a year or two trying to get it converted. Don't forget you have to give skill tests at a flying school in India as well which can cost a couple of lakhs

As far as NFTI is concerned I recommend you visit the place and get an opinion from the students there. Don't believe everything you read online.
Consider IGRUA as well as Air India gives some preference to their graduates

And lastly please don't forget that airlines in India charge a lot of money for the type rating . It varies from 20 lakhs to 35 lakhs. Remember this cost is over and above the money you pay for CPL .
Please make sure you have some means to pay for this after you are done with the CPL .

Please make sure you understand what you are getting into. The training part is actually the easiest and where you will have most fun. But obtaining a DGCA license or that first job can be quite difficult. There many pitfalls in aviation and many more in Indian aviation. I have seen too many people get burnt... Good Luck