PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hawker Hunter Crash at Shoreham Airshow
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2016, 19:47
Pittsextra

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
FL - I hear the concern I just think in a GA context they are overplayed as the majority of issues raised relate to commercial operations. Cockpit voice, FDRs, pilot unions, whistle blowers and 'organisational lawyers' seem consistent with that.

You highlighted the Rogers v Hoyle case. Im unclear how this case supports the fear of uncooperative witness or pilot statements to the AAIB.

Surely here the pilot expressed a view of control restriction at the time and maintained that view later, it's just the AAIB report (as I read it) perhaps placed different emphasis. Likewise the AAIB had no real motivation for placing any emphasis on anything they didn't believe to be factual, yet we can all read their views.

Just as witness statements as reflected in the AAIB report would unlikely change as I'm not entirely sure what the consequence for them was either way?

So that isn't really supportive of a view that has a pilot - in trying to be helpful to the AAIB - subsequently hanging himself with his own statement; which is I think one colloquial summary of one fear.

The point being that if you replayed the interaction of pilot and AAIB saying nothing arguably would be worse than maintaining a consistent view as was done. If anything the greater risk to using AAIB reports in this manner is that challenges to the points raised has the potential to damage long term credibility and their validity.