PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boy Entrants 39th to 49th Entries
View Single Post
Old 1st Apr 2016, 15:36
DonExAir

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ian16th
It has been investigated and there is no direct relationship between Service numbers and Entry numbers.

Other than, over the years they both incremented!

The alpha character that was added to service numbers in 1965, was indeed because of the introduction of computers. The alpha character was a 'check character'.

If a service number was incorrectly entered into a computer, it would produce a different check character. When compared to the original check character it would indicate an error.
The system was not 100% fool proof, but pretty close.

The extra digit may well have been added to former apps numbers to create a constant field length. It makes sense.

I was demobbed Feb 65 so never had the alpha character added, but I did then enter the world of computers and quickly learn't what a check digit was.

By the way, most check digits are numeric, as in you bank account number. In civil life I never came across a check system that used alpha characters.

As for guys called Bond getting the last 3 of 007, there appears to have been several cases of clerks making the unsuspecting guy wait until the stamp getting to 006 and saying, 'Right its your turn now!'
Thanks Ian,
A lot has been explained on both counts.
It makes sense as I recall I was in Singapore when I received my"letter" and that was in '65. I still have the punched card with it on.
So we can't blame it on the Bossa Nova - it was computers all the time!!
Regards, Don.