PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 28th Mar 2016, 18:48
smujsmith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some good posts there Gentlemen, and like all ex GE's, I'm always grateful for a pat on the head. I always looked at being part of the crew as a team effort. There was little, in my day, that a GE could offer once the wheels were retracted and we were on our way. Maybe spell the "Loady" on Tea making duties on a long leg, it was always nice to get a few minutes at the sharp end to learn a bit about how Albert was operated, and procedures that were never taught to us GE's in the normal course of our training. I believe, after I left in December 94, the GEs were given flying pay, and were expected to partake in certain airborne activities, though that may have come as a result of reduced manning of the aircraft with the J. For me, the best of times were when having stuck with a "bent beast" overnight, and got it ready to depart on time, the crew would often turn up with a nice breakfast treat for me, in appreciation. Happy days for all I reckon.

Smudge