PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 27th Mar 2016, 19:35
Flugplatz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am hoping that the future set-up envisaged by 2 FTS does at least have some flexibility, i.e it is a starting point and could evolve if problems come to the surface with cadets and VGS staff travel time and availability. If they treat it like that then it may have some viability otherwise a cynic might suggest that they have just thrown the 'ball back into our court' and eventually blame VGS staff for failing to support the new arrangements. If they are so inflexible and demanding, then I could see that happen and provide an excuse for further cuts. You would call this constructive dismissal in civvy street I guess.

I do have some misgivings about the CGI / Staff Cadet move into a much more formal structure. I would not be surprised to see 'contracts' being signed (including the official secrets act), a minimum and inflexible amount of attendance being demanded and little choice about duties (e.g. whole weekends of PTT and cadet supervision plus a committment to local ATC squadrons). All very good but probably a bit too much like actually joining up and not able to cater for people's real lives. We all have people in our own VGS who may not be able to attend for a couple of months but then play a blinder during the full time summer courses etc. In fact in our squadron we are fairly loose with attendence (once past probation) and most people have their own little 'deal' which actually makes the system work and which caters to their circumstances, abilities and stage in life.

I also have some misgivings about the AEF on the staffing front. If they can't attract enough pilots already, how are they going to man an extra two squadrons? Vigilant pilots will no doubt do a good job but are they going to be enough? I think the RAF will have to have a think about what the minimum pilot requirements really are as the RAF is now so small. I understand ex-service pilots are paid around £40K (correct me if I'm wrong, although FOs at airlines can get less than that) to fly at AEFs but still the RAF are short. Seems strange for such a fun job!!

If they are going to make more use of volunteers I would imagine they would have their pick of applicants from civvy street; we are only talking about day VFR single-engine piston aircraft. It seems like only the RAF can have a recruiting problem like that!

Has the possibility of using University Air Squadron graduates been considered? After all they have been selected, taught from the ground up to fly the same aircraft (aerobatics, formation?) in the way the RAF wants it done and presumably would have the same kind of volunteer weekend availability as they expect from an ex-Vigilant instructor.

Just hoping for a bit of imagination and flexibility in getting the best out of the new structure!

Flug