PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B-738 Crash in Russia Rostov-on-Don
View Single Post
Old 26th Mar 2016, 00:41
Alice025

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Media tries to look technical or their source of "leak" is not easy for them to understand :o. "Atmosphernye nozhnitsy" - literally - "atmospheric scissors" means media heard of the notion IN ENGLISH. They were told "wind shear". Translated by google or with a help of an English-Russian dictionary. Obtained a literal translation : "Atmospheric scissors" - made Russian audience learn of a new thing, previously un-heard of :o.
Some scissors. In the air. ??? To me, a Russian, it signals that the media heard it in English.
Dictionary says English shear has two meanings (as minimum) - "large scissors" and "shift". Journalists opted for "large scissors".

No 2 is "knuppel". General public in Russia never heard about any knuppels and is same impressed with them so scary unknown things as you. might be.

Googling in Russian shows knuppels are German, German term, invented to operate some rocket back in 1943. Then it tells that Russian engineers back in the 20th century used to use this German term to name those. rolling balls' things. Target tracking balls. Like in a computer mouse. Russian engineers preferred the German word knuppel to own term "sharovy manipuliator". In English the German knuppel looks like a thing inside a computer mouse.
It better corresponds to the joystick in airplanes than to a "button" in the airplanes.

There will certainly be further confusion as one media re-tells the news to another media, like in a game "broken telephone" as the word "knuppel" suspiciously sounds like Russian word "knopka"/button. When I heard knuppel first, I thought it' s a diminitive suffix added to the word "button".
But it's not. It's a computer mouse round ball whatever it corresponds to in a modern airplane.

Last edited by Alice025; 26th Mar 2016 at 01:15.