PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Mar 2016, 14:31
CoffmanStarter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From the Government eMail response sent to all petitioners today and posted by BEagle

combined with an increase of an extra 25 Grob Tutor fixed wing Air Experience Flights (AEFs) – a more than 50% increase on previous flights.
Clearly whoever wrote the original note, didn't proofread it ... I'm assuming it's a typo ... otherwise we will have more AEF's than Front Line Squadrons

BEagle, Airbus38 ...

If the MOD, 2FTS and the ACO continue to incorrectly describe these PTT's as 'Realistic Flight Simulators' ... then the remedy is simple ... such devices come under the jurisdiction of the MAA.

MAA : RA 2375 - Approval and Use of Flight Simulator Training Devices

Flight Simulators vary considerably in fidelity. They may be used as either preparation or substitution for live sorties in UK Military Aircraft. Their use must not prejudice the safe operation of that aircraft. Therefore, careful consideration is required to ensure the simulator is fit for purpose.
https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...180/RA2375.pdf

Specifically noting the requirement Point 3 ...

I suspect the phrase PTT (although apparently not defined by the MAA) has been deliberately used as training terminology by 2FTS. But given the involvement of 'minors' in formal flying training ... I believe a TNA should be undertaken (if not already done so) and the Viking & Vigilant PTT's assessed by a QintiQ TP against those TNA's, as it may well then be appropriate to DE-FUNCTION some of the PTT's attributes to protect against the real risk of 'NEGATIVE training' as outlined by BEagle. Then (I assume ?) 22 Group will need to 'approve' a Training Course/Cadet Gliding Qualification specifying exactly what level/type of 'synthetic' training is permissible (if any) during Cadet Glider Training/Qualification.

NB. To be read in conjunction with Posts #1923 by Airbus38 and #1976 by BEagle

Last edited by CoffmanStarter; 22nd Mar 2016 at 21:23.