PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 21st Mar 2016, 17:43
Whizz Bang

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Leon Jabachjabicz
RB

Sorry it was an old map. However, I understand there will be a 13 AEF and a 14 AEF stood up. One of which is supposedly expected in Northern Ireland to replace the Newtonards VGS. Looking at the other AEF location, it surely must go to Wales?

Don't get me wrong, I don't think AEF is a good replacement for VGS gliding. But then again I don't think motorgliders are good for keeping the Cadets amused all day either - conventional gliding is the best by far in my opinion.

LJ
Oh LJ, you fell for it and applied logic!

I'm reliably informed that the current candidate for the other new AEF is at Odiham.

The Vigilant never was great for hands on but it was a more productive machine for the input, even when the hourly costings (£ 250?!) were applied with all the costs of the 'professionals'... who led us to this mess.

To me the most important product of the VGS system is (was) the ability to send kids solo. No matter how this is dressed up there will be less solo even with the new system at full capacity (unless the VGSs start flying full time!).

Air experience at all levels before that point was (is) pretty unengaging and poorly structured so I welcome some of the new ideas that have emerged from the debacle. The quality of the synthetics is questionable but as part of a broader package may well retain interest.

A single fleet is flawed. But then if there are going to be two conventional types why not return to the 'old' system?