PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK - AAR meeting, sensible points to make.
Old 21st Mar 2016, 14:46
Gillegan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I left 4 1/2 years ago when they began stealing leave. I've had no regrets but as I'm posting here, I'm obviously still interested in the ongoing soap opera (a lot of very close friends are still at EK). I've asked myself, what would it take to get me to consider returning - perhaps a bigger hurdle than recruiting newbies as I'm quite familiar with cynical lying and cheating that have become SOP with EK management.

1. To fix the rostering and get it to something reasonable (long haul rosters really shouldn't average more than 76 hours a month with more being only used for exceptional circumstances) it's going to take BIG BUCKS to attract and retain the numbers they need to staff the expanding fleet to a reasonable monthly roster.

2. Leave: the main reason I left in the first place. If the contract says 42 days, then IT'S 42 DAYS! In just about any other civilized country, they would be dragged into court with no chance of winning for what has become routine and at least 1 block of leave MUST BE at least 28/30 days. It's an expat airline and everyone deserves enough time to get back to their home country for an extended rest. Again, this is going to impinge on manpower so back to point 1.

3. A change in management ethos. The attitude that crew are "lemons to be squeezed" until they are used up and that "if you don't like it - leave" has got to end. While this is most important for retention or for someone considering returning, the word is out on EK and there's just not enough people who would consider going there if they don't have to. For this to happen, it would take 2 people to stand up and acknowledge their part in making this mess, AAR and TC (I refuse to add the "S". IMO he deserves a lot of the blame for this mess. A micromanager like him can't claim he didn't know what was going on. He deserves much of the credit for what EK has done well but also much of the blame for the mess made since he took over.). I honestly don't see much chance of this happening.

Things like extra ALT's would be nice but are band aids on a gaping wound. Crap like bumping people on their ALT's would be fixed with point 3. When it started happening under SMF's watch, he fixed it right away. If I sound a little bitter, it's because I went to EK with the plan of staying until retirement. My life since leaving is infinitely better than my last few years there but it hasn't been without significant difficulties that could have been avoided but for the greed and dishonesty that has become commonplace.

Unfortunately, it appears to me that with Dubai once again in silly mode (how much is that stupid canal through Jumeira costing them?), and with EK as their only cash cow, their hands may be effectively tied anyway.

Last edited by Gillegan; 21st Mar 2016 at 19:25.