PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SEP over water - do you? And if so how far will you go?
Old 17th Mar 2016, 16:53
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SND

You are still braver than me having flown that route high level and high speed a number of times it still seemed a massive expanse of water to cover. Not even warm water but freezing water and usually rough.
i know the sea at close quarters too well )

Turbo prop single maybe but piston single ? You have guts

One occasion I was asked to do the crossing in a Cessna 340 which had experienced engine problems up to Canada the other pilot walked out.

This aircraft was fitted with a large ferry tank which you had to crawl over to get to the pilot seats on your stomach and then drop down.

it was massively over gross weight with fuel in the tank and I realised that failure of the bad engine would mean no more than a stretched glide into the sea.

The remaining pilot filled the ferry tank when we didn't even need it to save money on fuel cost after we discussed it and agreed not to fuel it and I flatly refused to go unless he emptied it again.

Luckily that wreck of a 340 was grounded by an inspector who was going through the area at the time for other reasons so neither of us got to fly it back

Strangely when it was ferried to India a while later it ended up at the bottom of a lake 20 miles from destination so a really jinxed aircraft. The indian pilot who moved it to its home airfield 30 nm further on after the ferry turned the fuel off not knowing how to fly the thing

Pace

Last edited by Pace; 17th Mar 2016 at 17:21.