PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SEP over water - do you? And if so how far will you go?
Old 15th Mar 2016, 21:57
BossEyed

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is worth reading: Ditching Myths Torpedoed - equipped.com

Ditching in a fixed gear aircraft in the English Channel is probably not going to kill you in itself.

Protect yourself in the water and get quickly located are things to plan sensibly for, in the event a ditching occurs - so immersion suit (or dinghy) and GPS PLB as a minimum.

Plus a considered Mayday call ("I'm ditching. Here I am...") on the way down from your high-as-possible transit altitude will help a lot. As will landing close to a vessel, with which height and time will help find - I'm told by the RNLI that a yacht or ideally ferry (Manoeuvrable: Lots of eyes on board) is far better than a tanker or freight carrier.

Simply thinking "It's a SEP with fixed gear: I'm definitely dead if the engine stops" is not only demonstrably wrong, but fatalistic and could well guarantee a bad outcome if that's your view.

Pace, how does the SEP being a Cirrus help at all? It may actually hinder, given now no crash attenuation under the chute due to a crushing undercarriage.

Mary: It was/is G-WAVE.