PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - My dream - advice please (collective thread)
Old 13th Mar 2016, 20:52
Restricted_Airspace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Opinions on my chosen pathway?

Hi Everyone,

First and foremost, my name is Jason and I have only recently joined the forums, although I have been lurking in the background reading posts and information for quite some time now.

I have recently immigrated from Australia to London and am looking to undertake my coveted Professional Pilots License. As I am not British (Irish by birth) and I do not own property, getting a loan for my training is out of the question, so I am looking down the pathway of the modular training route. I have spent the last few months researching different options, school and fees so that I can properly plan my journey and was hoping that perhaps some of you may be able to have a quick look over it to make sure I haven't missed anything?

I know there are many threads on the forum about training options, and I have read as many as I can find, however I just wanted to make sure that my decision was in line with these and that I haven't left anything out.

So without further delay, here we are:
Stage 1 - PPL

Location - Stapleford Flight Centre

Cost Breakdown -
Exam Fees - £180
Joining Fee - £15
Membership Fee - £100
Medical Fee - £350
45 Prepaid Hours - £6534

Total - £7179
Estimated Completion Length - 4 months if I able to fly every second weekend

Stage 2 - Night Flying Rating

Location - Stapleford Flight Centre

Cost Breakdown -
3 Hours Dual Cessna 152 - £498
3 Hours Solo Cessna 152 - £435
Take off & Landing Costs - £500

Total - £1433
Estimated Completion Length - 1 month based of the same parameters as above

Stage 3 - Beginning Modular Training

Location - CTC Flight School

Course - Module 1

Cost Breakdown -
APTL Theory & First Exam Attempt - £5950

Estimated Completion Time - 10 months (6 months are recommended, but I will also be working to get ready for the next stage)

Stage 4 - Modular Training Continuation

Location - CTC Flight School

Course - Module 2 - 5

Cost Breakdown -
All Training & Accommodation - £33,800
Food - £3000 (depending on time)

Total - £36,800
Estimated Completion Time - Unknown as I am still waiting for a reply from CTC, but if anyone has information, I will be happy to listen

Stage 4 - Module 6

Course - Module 6 (Airline Qualification Course)

Cost Breakdown:
All Training & Accommodation: £10,500
Selection Fee: £275
Food: £225

Total: £11,000
Estimated Completion Time: 6 Weeks (as per website)

After all these stages (I have allowed myself approximately 4 years to fully complete everything so that I can also have practice in between courses and save some money for each) I am left with a fATPL with IR.

I am aware that license application fees are on top of the above listed costs however, was hoping some of you may be able to shed some light on whether or not I have missed some crucial part of the course or have overlooked any major or significant costs.

Also, if anybody have any ideas as to whether this is an appropriate plan of action or if it it would be better to approach it from a different angle, I am all ears

Thanks again guys and I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the matter.