PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The wind knocked out of my sails today..
View Single Post
Old 12th Mar 2016, 13:28
BEagle

Received 270 Likes on 109 Posts
This nonsense of adding gust factor increments for light aircraft needs to be stamped out. It is totally unnecessary for low inertia, low wing-loading aircraft and the last thing you want to be doing in gusty conditions is fannying about in the flare because your approach speed was too high and the aeroplane is still flying whilst you move further from the trimmed approach speed and lose finesse as a result.

Unless the POH advocates a gust factor increment, just use the normal approach speed and ignore the BS spouted by pilots of larger aircraft trying to influence light aircraft flying with large aeroplane techniques.

There is ample fat built in to the POH speed for landing at the planned mass - no need for '5 knots for the wife and kids' or other garbage.

When I was HoT at an RF, I inherited a load of nonsense which included:
  1. Flying the approach at POH +10
  2. Adding 5 KIAS if 3 or more PoB (PA28)
  3. Adding 1/3 gust factor above 15 kts

We reviewed the speeds and changed the checklists. As a result we had no more damaged nosewheels, no more drifts off the RW and students learned how to land more easily.

As for 'wing down', that's something weird and American - I never found it very pleasant to fly in such an unbalanced manner. So in everything I ever flew, I used the 'crab' technique - everything from the Chipmunk to the Vulcan to the Phantom to the VC10 to the PA28.

Use the 'point and power' technique, fly at the correct approach speed and 'de-crab' at the same rate as you flare - it's very simple.

And anyone advocating 'kicking the aircraft straight with rudder' deserves a good kicking themselves!

Last edited by BEagle; 12th Mar 2016 at 19:50.