PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - My dream - advice please (collective thread)
Old 12th Mar 2016, 10:51
tomuchwork

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi guni83. My 10 cents about your situation.

TheOne83 is very right with his statement, based on that I did already a lot of decissions in my flying career(heck, if I don't do this now I will regret it forever) that at the end turned out to be not the best choice I could have done.
But that's the life of a pilot I guess.

The dream of being a pilot - I am sure a lot of individuals have this dream. Often they have a different idea how this pilot life really will be. Or they see some lucky guys who made it into that big outfit(put any flag carrier of your choice in here) and stay happliy ever after ;-) (and even there are some pilots who look for that "special" outfit to fulfill their dreams).
I met quiet a lot pilots that changed over from other jobs. Some even being a lawer, made double the money in his old job. And sometimes he regrets what he did. Because dealing with some lousy airline/biz jet operator sometimes goes on your nerves. They do not keep their promises, e.g. off days(which is important if you have family/kids) or a promised upgrade.
Life as a pilot is hard, full of hard choices(again, except the few lucky ones that somehow made it in that big company and enjoying their boring but rewarding flying life - and even this ones argue about seniority, pension plans, bidding, all the other not really important crap).

Depending how happy you are at your current job I would be carefully. The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.
You wrote that you have already a PPL, why not go slowly for a CPL/ME/IFR and find some local sidejob to "sniff" into this business a bit and gain already some hours.
You get as well in touch with some first "dubious"(normally they are) operators that usually will be always found in a pilots life.

It is always good to go for a dream, but if you have a kid and a wife it is as well very important to take care about them.
I missed so much of the precious "growing up" years of my first child, simply because my company(ies) kept me flying like crazy, sent me on never ending nightstops,...
I managed change that with our second child, but at the cost of my career by downsizing a lot.
It might be that now I finally found a good job that let me stay on my homebase AND keeps me flying on a nice aircraft. But it took me a lot of years to reach that and it is pure luck to be at the right time at the right place.
This might be the case with a normal job as well. But normally it is easier to find a new oportunity in the same area/city. With flying this usually never happens.

Have a look into your current situation, try to figure out how "badly" you really want to be a pilot and about possible changes for your family if you really walk that line. Be sure to include your wife into that and consider all worst case scenarios - I have seen enough divorces from "understanding" wifes after they realized in which situation they ended up. Not many women are very understanding if the husband might be away for 2 weeks in a row(yes, as well that can happen, my previous job was like that). It does not help if you are afterwards there for 12 days if you are needed in your "away" time.

Lots of things to consider....Good luck with your life and decission!