PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The wind knocked out of my sails today..
View Single Post
Old 12th Mar 2016, 01:01
alex90

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll second Piperboy84,

Although I have a tendency, of slipping in from a bit further out just because I find it quite nice to start feeling the gusts (which normally) diminish as you get lower, allows you to know roughly how much rudder to put. The PA28s seem more happy when there is heavy x-wind when slipped rather than crabbed, especially when gusty.

I normally come in flapless (if runway length allows) as this would give me an easier ride. and I would normally come in at around 85kts in a warrior III. (remember that depending on your slip, and where your pitot is, you may either under-read or over-read).

I have found pax to be happier, when already really lumpy, to look straight ahead and seeing the runway in roughly the same place between the lumps, despite the discomfort of flying out of balance. (this only applies when already a really bumpy / lumpy day).

Good call on going around when not comfortable! I really appreciate to hear that! The last flight I took with BA, we landed at Gatwick (26) with 220/25G36 which admittedly is still within limits of an A320, despite being chucked around quite a bit, but we hit very hard the first time, well beyond the "chocolate boxes" as we were at about a 25 degree angle over those, and bounced 3 times on the runway before maximum braking and reverse thrust was applied. I would have much rather they had gone around to give it another go rather than risk their lives and our lives trying to "make it work". I think the above is knowing your aeroplane limit, and knowing your own personal limits as a pilot is also really really important. So congratulations there Scoobster! Very good decision making!

(by the way - to note - the pilots of air new zealand's A320 that we flew into Wellington from Auckland last August, was able to land runway 16 with 270/34G45, landing visually with a cloudbase at 1500' (flying the circuit which I recognised) much much smoother than the crew of the BA flight despite a rather short and very wet runway! So there is a lot to say about pilot currency, and pilot ability compared to just aeroplane limits).

Dont let this be anything other than a learning point, and remember that you did the right thing!