PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - WHY are some appealing aircraft now so cheap
Old 11th Mar 2016, 14:40
Silvaire1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The issues described in this thread are largely the result of vast over regulation in Europe coupled with over taxation of fuel and maintenance. Thousands and thousands of light aircraft fly every day, and are maintained under FAA rules without resorting to separate more limiting ultralight style regulations, or burning car fuel. All of that is just a work around for a failing system of regulation in Europe, under which aircraft ownership and operation is repressed.

My annual inspection for my certified aircraft usually costs around $500-800 US (at most) including a few odds and ends that needed to be replaced, filters and etc. It's done as a joint effort between me and an A&P IA mechanic, working cooperatively. No businesses or FAA paperwork are involved. My Avgas cost is currently about $4.5/gallon or £0.82/liter. I haven't had an AD or other expensive surprise on my aircraft in 12 years of ownership. Europe has created a totally unnecessary mess for itself.

What I find is that the US market is flat in terms of prices, largely as a result of demographics, and that has created a nice situation for normal people who want to own an aircraft today under FAA regulations.