PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - My dream - advice please (collective thread)
Old 8th Mar 2016, 22:42
guni83

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TheOne83
"Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable." -Sydney J. Harris
Thank you TheOne83, this is a very powerful quote and a moving one.

The reason I was looking at full time was because the course qualifies as a full student loan, which means no money from my savings up front, although I am going to end up with a lot of debt.

But now, I do agree that a modular model may be more suitable for me. I kept thinking that I am running out of time, but I think taking another year or so longer is better than taking my family through a financial hardship. The only loan I have at the moment is my car loan, I have no other debt or mortgage, so I could potentially borrow a little more if I had to.
This way, I keep my experience and skills to go back to if the career in aviation doesn't work out, and I can continue to put food on the table while I study.

I guess the depressing thing is, when I first started flying back in 1997, companies were still willing to invest in teaching wannabe pilots, but it looks like everything has changed now and I need to fund myself until I have all the requirements to get in. I try not to, but keep thinking what it would have been like if I never stopped.

I have 3 meetings scheduled with instructors from different schools this weekend, hopefully get some advises from them and see which of them suits my circumstance best.