PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA911 G-APFE Mt. Fuji crash
View Single Post
Old 6th Mar 2016, 02:33
ExSp33db1rd

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
I was one of the two F/O's waiting at Kai Tak to take over, when we got to the airport we were told that it was "overdue"at the reporting point ( "waypoints" hadn't been invented ) VOR on the South coast of Japan. (name ? Kagoshima ?)

Both the F/O's killed were colleagues of mine, we started with BOAC on parallel intakes. One was a family friend and neighbour at home.

There were two Capt Dobsons on the then Hong Kong crew posting. The Company rang the wrong one.

It was common practice for crews flying that service to file VFR to the south of Japan then re-file IFR to HKG, and deliberately fly over Fuji to give the passengers a view of the mountain whilst still climbing out of Tokyo, dropping a wing to see down the crater. "no-one" admitted it" but everyone" - well, maybe not everyone - did it. ( or so I was told after the event )

That practice stopped, as did the practice of filing VFR flight plans, after that accident.

There was also some story of 2 Japanese Air Force high performance jet fighters getting into trouble at the same time, the turbulence on the lee side of the mountain put them into trouble with massive "G" forces being experienced.

It seems that the 707 broke up in midair, the crew drowning in fuel.

There was also a discrepancy in the number of male "body parts" and female "body parts" in comparison to the number of males and females recorded on the load sheet for weight and balance calculations. It later transpired that a troupe of Transvestites had been travelling on that flight.

Truth is Stranger than Fiction.

Don't pick me up on petty detail, it is 50 years ago and I'm sure it is all written down somewhere.