PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Help researching 1961 Electra crash
View Single Post
Old 5th Mar 2016, 14:53
BRDuBois

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From Help Researching 1961 Chicago Electra Crash — Tech Ops Forum | Airliners.net

An interesting suggestion

Although there was no aileron control, the decreasing bank angle, the radius of the turn and the relatively shallow descent could be explained by application of left rudder, probably to the stops. Application of full left rudder would have shallowed the bank angle and decreased the turning radius thus fitting your hypothesis. Still having elevator control and throttle control the crew just might have been able to and quite possibly did set the aircraft up for a semi controlled belly landing. Had they had another hundred more feet of altitude or if not for the railway embankment they might have made it. It would still have been an ugly impact but possibly a semi successful one with some survivors.

Not being a pilot, I don't have a feel for this, but it makes sense.

when the depth of the failings of the NW maintenance staff during the replacement of the aileron boost unit on N137US became apparent all eyes and all hands rushed in that direction and the impact sequence part of the investigation was left hanging. At that time everything about the Electra was under major scrutiny and a severe cloud of suspicion hung over the aircraft. Coupled with the serious failures of the NW MSP maintenance and inspection staff uncovered during the investigation I can easily envision a scenario where all eyes and attention were diverted in that direction due to the potential for further safety concerns. The downside to that shift being an overlooking of a possibly brilliant and heroic bit of flying on the part of your father and his crew.

We were intensely aware of the focus on Electra safety in general, in addition to the work being done to figure out why my dad's plane crashed. So this certainly explains why the impact sequence was ignored when the cause was discovered. However, having an explanation does not excuse the slapdash treatment of that part of the investigation.