PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LUTON History and Nostalgia
View Single Post
Old 19th Feb 2016, 09:04
OUAQUKGF Ops

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Sorry to be a pedant but Hazel's Herald that force landed at Milford, Surrey had by that time been re-engined with Darts. I too had a joy ride on one of Hazel's training details, at one stage we became slightly lost. I've recounted the tale elsewhere on Pprune so I won't bore even more of you with it.

Fortunately there was not too much bull around in those days and ops staff were welcome to joy-ride and sometimes could even take along a pal to act as ballast.

I recall riding on an Ambassador one dark winter's evening. The aircraft was due off check and needed an air test. Everything was set up for a departure after lunch. However as is sometimes the case the crew were left kicking their heels because the aircraft was late out of the hangar and didn't turn up on to the ramp until late afternoon. It was thought that the air test would take less than an hour. Having finished my shift I went along for the ride. It was growing dark as we took off. With me in the cabin was a flying spanner - it might have been Stuart Clegg or Pete Hart - can't remember now. Anyway after at least an hour and a half we were still airborne - all checks long completed. Another 45 minutes passed still no indication of a descent. Peering out of the window it looked as black as a badger's anus - not a light to be seen. Looking through the cockpit door one could see the pilots in animated conversation and charts all over the place.

A few minutes later I glanced out of the window, nothing and then suddenly I could see breakers crashing on to the shore. Landfall! We arrived at Luton about twenty minutes later. No mention was ever made of our little expedition over the North Sea.

Last edited by OUAQUKGF Ops; 21st Feb 2016 at 12:42.