PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 225 sqdn sarawak 1965
View Single Post
Old 19th Feb 2016, 00:10
Senid251

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re. Ricky Galbraith

Ricky Galbraith was a Senior Aircraftman Ground Wireless Mechanic based at the Ground Radio Section at RAF Kuching, his usual role would be maintenance of the ATC radio receivers and communications systems in the control tower and nav aids on the airfield, i.e. CADF. Another duty was to deliver rations and mail to the remote transmitter station at Batu Kitang where six of us looked after the HF, VHF and UHF transmitters used by ATC and Operations. If I recall correctly these ration runs were every couple of days, and could cause great concern if they were late!
On the day of the accident he was on a day off and volunteered to go as a lookout in the search for the Army Scout helicopter, my understanding is that the Scout was ferrying an Indonesian prisoner back to Kuching for interrogation when it went missing.
Some years ago on the National Malaya and Borneo Veterans Association website there was a request from Ricky's brother asking if anyone knew the whereabouts of his widow and child. I never saw a response and still wonder if they managed to make contact.
I am a Volunteer at the National Memorial Arboretum and when on duty make a point of going to see his name and pay my respects to Ricky and other colleagues on the walls of the Armed Forces Memorial. RIP.

Update 20 September 2017: I'm hoping to visit Singapore and Kranji in January 2018. I can't find a reference to Ricky Galbraith's grave. Can anyone help?

Last edited by Senid251; 20th Sep 2017 at 14:36.