PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Atlantic flight from London to NY returns after pilot hurt in laser incident
Old 17th Feb 2016, 07:14
Tourist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by underfire
Good Form scroggs!

I am wondering why the ac cockpit windows cannot be coated with the same material as military ac and equipment against laser.
Erm, not sure what you are talking about. No aircraft I have ever heard of had laser protective coatings on the windows.
Lasers are very effective against military aircraft which is one reason they are banned I believe. We certainly would never blind an enemy pilot of course. That would be unsportsmanlike.

Originally Posted by underfire
In the military, many of the weapons systems use lasers for rangefinding and guidance, and I know the gunsights and windows/ports on tanks are coated to reflect the laser from direct and return, with no optical reduction.
They also use this coating on building windows so that a laser cannot be used to listen to conversations inside.
I'm afraid you have been reading bad fiction.
You cannot stop an optical laser without affecting vision through a port.

Lasers used to listen to conversations are bouncing off the window and the vibration of the window causes doppler shift which is detected. Coatings won't change that one iota.