PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Atlantic flight from London to NY returns after pilot hurt in laser incident
Old 16th Feb 2016, 07:44
lederhosen

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Do you have something tangible to back up your last assertion that these are incredibly brief flashes Tourist? I would expect that my experience is fairly typical and I have been hit multiple times. It is difficult to judge how long the exposure to the laser has been. My immediate reaction is to look away. But the events are highly distracting particularly high powered green lasers which I have experienced many times (6-8) in the middle east and the Balkans. On glancing back the laser has still been there, which suggests something other than that which you are saying. Switching off lights also helps, which again indicates that the laser is being actively targetted.

My first concern is to assess if there has been any damage, which takes a moment. As these events (at least the ones I have been aware of) happen at night, it is not always easy to assess whether blurring was there before as a result of tired eyes or due to damage. So far touch wood there does not seem to have been any permanent damage, but I have definitely been aware of some blurred vision the next day. It is reassuring to hear your suggestion that nothing can possibly happen, but some scientific references would be even better.