PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bristow S76 Ditched in Nigeria today Feb 3 2016
Old 14th Feb 2016, 19:11
Fareastdriver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
On the Sycamore you had a nine cylinder radial driving a rotor that had no autopilot, no hydraulics and a pair of trim wheels, lateral and fore & aft, that tensioned springs in the control runs to enable you to exercise what limited control authority you had. Imagine a 332L with the HYD AP out and you have a rough idea of the control forces. There was only one collective so if you where flying from the LHS you held the cyclic with the left hand and the central collective with the right. Occasionally, years later, on the 332L when I was a LHS captain flying the return leg, just to prove to myself that I was keeping up to speed I would do the final approach and landing with the HYD AP out using my left hand on the cyclic and my right hand on the RHS collective.
There were no complaints from either the front of the back.

The Whirlwind (S55 to the Colonials) had no autopilot, it did have hydraulics but no trim, either wheels or chinese hats. There was a friction device but the vast majority of pilots used to screw this right off so as to leave the stick free. This meant that if you let go of the cyclic it fell over and the aircraft followed it.
Amazingly this system lasted for about thirty years and nobody ever lost control.

So you come to the SK76. Take away the APs, trim, FMS and you have a basic helicopter similar to the Whirlwind. You can fly it VFR, IFR, hover over the ground and at a push winch people out of the sea. Wobbles are what used to be known as PIOs (pilot induced occillations). The only time, in my experience, when the 76 is difficult is if you have an engine failiure just before VTOSS. The torque, or lack of torque reaction can catch you out and you may have a couple of swings before you straighten it out.

It may well be that people who being paid to fly the aeroplane have got so many gizmos to fly it for them the they have lost the ability to actually fly it when it really matters.