PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IFR Ratings – 65% in the USA – 16% in Oz – and Even Less with ADSB Mandate
Old 10th Feb 2016, 13:02
CHAIRMAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So for the limited number of private operators, flying for recreation or leisure with no compelling rationales for pushing daylight or weather boundaries, 75% of their proposed flying can be done in completely benign weather.... why would they want to operate under the IFR?
Can't believe you would say that Jammie - that 25% remaining is exactly why private (and business) operators have an IFR rating, either IFR or PIFR. Because they want to go when they want or have (for business) to go - just like you for your job.
If I was to buy another aeroplane for private use (gods forbid) it would be VFR, and no less safe for it. I would also put a Garmin ADSB-GPS in it 'cause I like gadgets and if I can afford an aeroplane just for ****s & giggles, I can afford a few bucks worth of toys.
Again I can't believe what you're saying. Most private IFR machines are not maintained in that state for '****s and giggles'. '****s and giggles' aircraft are old 172's/150's,Cubs, Tigers, Chippies, RAA etc, and aren't the subject of this thread. Where they operate they mostly don't need ADSB, because 25% of the time it doesn't matter if they can't go.
And the 'few bucks' you talk about, at current ADSB pricing can represent up to a third of the cost of current IFR private aircraft, once installation costs are taken in to account, and will more than double the cost of your '****s and giggles' aircraft. Can't really see you going there.
Many current IFR maintained machines in AUS will become VFR only because of the current early mandate. How can this possibly be anything other than a lowering of safety standards?
As has been pointed out in this and other threads, the cost of installing ADSB equipment is falling exponentially as we get closer to the USA 2020.
But then again Jammie, you, and CASA seem to believe that we really, really, really NEED to be first in the race. COST, COST?? Not our problem!

That's why Dick's argument is valid!